Friday, February 20, 2009

October 17th 1943

Skipping some months a head now to mid October.



Sunday Oct 17/43

Dear Mom-

The last time I wrote you I was in London on a supposedly 21 days of leave but we had a recall after 6 days to return to our station and from there we were sent on a Battle Course and here I am after three days of it and I have finally found time today to drop you a line.

I had a fine time in London nothing to brag about. I visited several places of interest. Mde Toussauds Wax Museum, Westminster Abbey, London Bridge-Alleyn College of which my Bomb Aimers Great Great Great Grandfather built and went to a couple of shows.

The course we are on now will eventually end up the end of this month and then we go up to a conversion unit where we learn to fly 4 motor jobs instead of two motors. I think this course will do one the world of good in regards to getting back into a fair descent condition for flying again. I'm certainly soft after lying around for a month and a half.


I haven't heard from you for over a month now hope you haven't forgotten me. I hear Mildred has been up to see you recently. I hope she comes up regularly. It was four months ago today we were married- as you know doubt would remember the date. I certainly miss her something fierce and I miss you an awful lot too.

Oh well, I think it won't be very long now before this whole nasty business is over by the looks of the news each day it won't be long. If it ends soon there are going to be a lot of disappointed people-including myself.

How is everything going with you at [illegible] I hope you are not working too hard nor to long hours- especially working until 9 or 10 at night this is not good. How is Daddy? I hope he is well and fine- I would appreciate very much some more snaps of the whole family including Nanny and Grandpa. I hope Nanny is not working to hard around the house because I want to see her looking as young as ever when I come home. How is Grandpa's back? I don't suppose it is much better.

By the way how are the two babies- that will make Milton boil- getting on at school?

I hope to goodness they are grown up enough now to settle down and do some concentrating on studies. They are having the best time of their life right now- I didn't realize it when you needed to tell me the same thing but now I do.

I have just finished a long letter to Mildred and I had lots of time so I decided I would write to you. I shall drop Frank a line when I close this letter. He certainly must be a busy lad on that course he is taking. I'm sure he will get through okay.

I don't know what the score is in regards to my Commission. I was recommended for one when I got three “ops” done down east but seeing as no more Canadians are going down there for a while at least I'm not sure but I hope it comes through over here just the same.

Well, Mom, I should close this short note for tonight. It has been raining all day long and everything is so damn damp. I hope to hear from you soon. Love to all-Ed


["ops"-flying operations]

No comments: