Saturday, February 7, 2009

Edward's Letters

Now that I've told you about Granddad's early experiences during the War, I'm going to move onto his brother Edward. All of Edward's surviving letters (except for a few to his brother) are to his mother Alma. Each letter has been perfectly preserved and as such I have transcribed each one instead of scanning them. My Granddad wrote this introduction to the letters:

This is a book of the letters of Sergeant Edward Dowe RCAF written to his mother and a few to his older brother from the time of his enlistment in 1942 until his death on the night of 19/20 February 1944. His death came as a result of the action of German night-fighters shooting down his bomber aircraft, over the Netherlands, returning from a bombing raid over Liepzig Germany.

It is important that these letters be preserved because they record some of his hopes and aspirations which by his untimely death were left to be realized by others. It is also important to remind ourselves that the price, for the freedoms we enjoy, were paid for by the thousands of young men, like him, who never counted the cost.

-F.S. Dowe

On July 18th 1942 Edward Dowe, leaving his job as a toolmaker, followed his brother into the military and enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force. Edward's letters begin in November 1942 while at St. Thomas (RCAF No.1)

Thursday November 12/42

Dear Mother,

I received your letter yesterday and was glad to hear from you that everyone is well.

I most certainly like it here Mom, it is nice and clean, etc, plus the fellows are nice with 1 or 2 exceptions.

Yes we have started our studies. Maths is very easy. Aircraft recognition is real hard plus Morse Code is twich as hard, so I'll have quite a bit of studying to do. I go on guard duty in a little while again, so I'll have to make this a short note, but not too short.

Don't be working to hard, gee I wish you could quit and stay at home and help Nanny. You know she isn't getting any younger.

I'll send my ration book in as soon as I come to Toronto. I don't like any place as well as Toronto and I don't think I ever will.

How is Auntie? By the way, give me Vern's address and also don't forget to put Frank's address in I have wrote him a letter but haven't mailed it, no address, so please send it.

Yes, we are very tired at night. I haven't been outside baraccks on any days off so I don't know what St. Thomas or London is like, I just stay in, no point of spending money foolishly.

Well, bye-bye for now Mother, dear, I'll be seeing you soon.

Love to all

Ed




No comments: