Tuesday, February 10, 2009

May 30th 1943

Another letter from May, Edward is just finishing up his A.G. course. Very happy news in this letter as Edward has just proposed to his long time girlfriend, Mildred.


Sunday May 30th/43


Dear Mom-

I had your letter of Sunday but last Thursday but I decided I would wait until today when I would have lots of time to answer it. I didn't think you would be very surprised when I told you we were getting married. I know she is a very lovely girl and I'll certainly so my part to make her happy as possible and I will also be good to her and true that is most important.

I hope I am spared to come back to her but we Air Gunners have funny ideas about dying in battle and I'm not afraid. An Air Gunners job is to protect the plane and the lives of other men so I think I'll come back. The Hun are frightened. Silly to attach a bomber now- it's not like it was in the days of the outbreak of the war when we had no equipment not devices for protection it is completly changed now and is reverse so I'm sure I'll come back- if I get over.

We had another medical Wednesday and I'm glad to continue flying. I have had awful headaches and the M.D. took me off flying for 3 days until it gets a little better. It is pretty well cured now but I still can't wait.

I was up for 2 hours 5 minutes yesterday on a cross country flight it sure is okay just to sit there and take in the scenery.

You aren't losing me, Mother, so forget that part of it, you are getting a nice daughter in law. I know you think the world of her.

Mildred told me she saw Art Cousins the other night on the Danforth he isn't an A.G. yet so I guess he is not on his course yet.

Mildred told me that she and her mother are going up to the house Thursday night. How did the planning work out? I hope everything turned out okay.

I hope Frank gets his application to go through and get a commission he deserves it for the length of time he has been over there. I hope he isn't on the way back when I go over. I want to see him it has been so long since I seen him. I'll bet he wouldn't know me if I did see him. He left here as a young soldier and I was only 16 I think, 4 years ago. I think it was when I was 16.

I got the cigarettes and chocolate okay Mom and thank you very much for them. They came in handy seeing I have only 25 cents left from pay day. It's a lucky thing pay day is tomorrow.

About the Wedding Present. Don't get a silver tea service because Mildred will likely get one from the bank. A mantle radio is a nice gift but of course I'm not dropping you a hint- I just merely dropped a brick on your head as far as that goes so if you care to, well, I won't say no.

Well, Mom, I shall close for now. How is Nanny and Grandpa? I hope the will be able to come to the Wedding. I would be very disappointed if they were not there. How is Daddy? Are Milton and Pat studying hard for their exams- I guess schoo1 will be getting out for the summer pretty soon. I hope to goodness they both pass. You can tell them I will be writing my exams by the time they get this letter so their big brother who has been out of school for 3 years is still studying and writing exams.

Bye for now, love to all

Ed


No comments: