Sunday, February 8, 2009

May 10th 1943

The letters skip ahead a few months to May of 1943. Edward is now at RCAF Station MacDonald in Manitoba finishing his Air Gunners course at No. 3 Bomb and Gunnery School.


Monday May 10/43

Dear Mother-

Received your letter of Thursday to day and was glad to know you got it. I was disapointed also not to see you at the station the Friday night. I came though Mildred was down and we both walked around looking for you but we didn't see you anyplace. I felt kind of blue leaving the old home town to go out to a place such as this barren hole.

It has been snowing all day and there must be at least 8 inches of wet snow on the ground. I'll bet it is like this at home. Do you mean to tell me that you had to go down to the station all by yourself? Where was Dad?

How is Nanny and Grandpa? I would like to write to Nanny but I just haven't got the time to do very much writing to anybody. I have been flying and it is quite a thrill. I have also been air sick. Please ask Mr. Ottaway what to do to not be air sick. It is an awful feeling. I felt just like dropping right out of the hatch. I hope he knows what to do so don't forget to ask him. I'm confident he will know. Mind you it is not persistant I have only been sick once. Don't mention it to anybody- nobody at all keep it to yourself because I don't want it to get around. I told Mildred I was sick- I mean for you not to mention it to anyone that you are going to ask Mr. Ottaway. I don't want anybody to know I'm writing home for a remedy lots of the fellows have been sick but I don't want to spoil a good record.

I think you understand. I'm glad you sent me Frank's letter. I wrote a long letter to him just before I let St. Thomas- but I guess it went down. Mildred was telling me in her last letter that a fellow I know quite well, Stan Dean by name went down in the Atlantic only 16 were saved he was listed by Ottawa as missing at sea. I feel sorry for his mother. We go over by aircraft so you won't need to worry. Well, I shall close for now and hope to hear from you soon.

Ed

P.S.

Keep it to yourself, please

No comments: