Tuesday, February 17, 2009

August 22nd 1943

Somewhere in England
Sunday 22 Aug 43

Dear Mom-

I haven't numbered your letters so I guess this is about 5 or 6. It is funny I got your letter dated July 11 two weeks ago and I got one dated July 27th. It sure is a mystery to me.

I shall answer July 11 and then July 27th. I am fine and dandy and have a few flying hours in now. I'll soon be finished here and then I'm going out East- I guess you know where at least.

I have seen Frank and he is fine and dandy but won't give up his girl friend- I had a letter from her the other day- I don't know why but I did.

I'm glad you didn't tell Mildred about that summons. What it was for is a mystery to me. I wish you had have opened it and found out what it was for. It has me kind of worried and mystified. Maybe I was spending a bit when I was home on leave- who cares they certainly have a lot to do when the pinch is on servicemen to send out a summons to. Is that happens again let me know and I will write the Mayor of Toronto a letter he won't forget. I believe that is the right place to write to.

You done right I guess. By sending it back and putting on it I am overseas-thanks.

It certainly was nice of them the Coulsons to have Patricia up to their cottage for a week she could use the change as could you.

I'm surprised and sorry to hear Nanny's back and head were bothering her. I would certainly like to hear from her if she has a chance to drop me a line tell her to do so and I shall do the same either today or tomorrow. I guess Grandpa's back will always bother him now. I hope to see them both in a couple of months.

Yes, Mom I hope Milton does go into 8th grade this fall. Tell him if he wants to get out of school before his family passes him he had better hurry up before his long gray beard gets so long that he trips over it. Tell them both to drop me a line or I shall be plenty mad at them and also to Frank he wanted to know all about them.

Yep, I remember poor old Mr. Dobson too bad but it comes and that's that.

I wasn't sick when I came across and I can't tell you how long it took or when or where or anything about- security reasons of course. I couldn't have seen Howard if I had of come down that is all I can say about that. Howard is certainly good to his family etc, he can well afford to be if I had his position etc. I would be generous too. Keep it under your hat.

I opened the dollar bill- I was broke when I got over here and wanted some smoothies so that was what I did.

Well I shall close for now and by the time you get this I will have had my embarkation leave and then it won't be long until I'm home after the “ops” are done.

God bless you all and love to all from your son-Ed

No comments: