Tuesday, March 3, 2009

October 30th 1943


Oct 30/43
Dear Mom-
I have been back off leave for a couple of days now and yesterday I recieved 16 letters- 12 from Mildred, 3 from home and one from Frank.
I didn't fo anything exciting this leave as I went down to London and played around the Maple Leaf Club for 4 days. I met a relative of Mildred's down there-she is working at the Club-she didn't have anything to say to me just asked me if I married Mildred Coulson, yep that's me I said.
We paid stop over visits to Manchester, Leeds and Aldershot. I am certainly glad to hear you haven't been doing very much overtime work-that is no good at all. How are you Mom, I hope you didn't get that pain in your side back again.
Grandpa is certainly keeping spray for his age and considering the state of his health he needs that work to keep his mind off his health. I hope he is still there when the war is over-that will mean 3 wars he has lived through-pretty good average.
Glad to hear Dad is keeping fine and that he got over his sore back. Climbing poles isn't so hot seeing he isn't getting any younger. He should be due for a foreman's job pretty soon. How is the army treating him? I hope he has got his third stripe. Have you heard about the 25 cent a day raise for us AG's? I believe it is back dated September 1st. I hope it is- it will mean all the more money for Mildred and I to save.
I had a letter from Pat so tomorrow I shall drop her line. I was glad to get it from her. I hope Milton hasn't lost his hand or anything like that-tell him to get busy.
Well Mom, I guess winter is fastly coming more home. I can imagine what it's like-it will be well into November when you do get this letter. I certainly wish I could get home for Christmas but our enemies don't know what that means to us in Canada so the war goes on.
Mildred told me in one of her letters how nice you looked the night she took out wedding pictures over to show you and Daddy and the rest. She is just crazy over you, Mom, so there is what your daughter in law thinks of you.
I am fine and dandy in every way, except I do wish we could get some flying done and some bombs dropped on Jerry. We came over to fly not to hang around.
I hope Nanny is not over doing herself in the fruit season. I know she will no matter what anyone says. I hope I am spared to see you all once again. I have a feeling I will be and I am sure Frank will be-he is well on his way with his commission course and I'm pretty certain he will make out okay.
Well Mother I have shall close for now and I hope to hear from you real soon.
Love to all
Ed
All of you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments: