Thursday, March 19, 2009

Another Letter to Frank

Feb 15 1944

Dear Frank-

Sorry for being as late in answering your letter of a couple of weeks ago but we have been busy at night flying and I am sure you will understand. The boys are out tonight and my crew has a spare gunner-I'm grounded for rheumatism in my shoulders and arms and believe me its plenty sore. I'll be okay in a day or so-I'll make damn sure of that.

I did wait all afternoon and evening in the Beaver Club so when you didn't show up I went back to the hotel and went to bed. Next morning I came back to camp to spend the rest of my leave here.

I got rolled for 17 quid on Thursday night- the night after the day I wrote to you up at your place. I got drunk on scotch and passed out and when I woke up all my money was gone.

I hate to ask you but if you can possibly [illegible] in the 25 bob you borrowed I would be much obliged. I guess you can appreciate the corner I'm in financially. Don't for God's sake write home and tell them I was drunk when I got rolled. I haven't had a drink since and I'm going to stay that way from now on. They don't know I drank and Mildred doesn't either so keep it quiet.

I certainly have an awful lot of letters to write to everyone. It will take me hours-so help me it will.

How are things with you? Say by the way-I think I wrote to you and explained everything about being rolled. If I did pay no attention to it now.

I have a memory like a sive. I had a letter from Mom and Dad and one from Nanny and one from Mildred a couple of days ago.

This is only a short note to tell you I am still here and will try to be that way for a long time to come.

Write soon

Your Brother
Ed

No comments: